Driving around Susanville, we noticed an interesting tree carved into a scene. Our Digital Marketing Director (and photographer) Jaime insisted we stop and have a look. We hollered to the upstairs porch and asked if we could take some pictures. We were welcomed by Judy McInnis, husband Manny and son Marvin. Judy told us how she remembered her momma planting that tree when she was a little girl. Eventually it grew so big, its arms reached over the road and one arm fell. She knew it had grown unsafe, yet could not imaging getting rid of the tree. It was decided they would have to cut it down, but they left enough stump for a local carver, Bill from Westwood, to carve out a magnificent scene. Since Judy and her husband had been married 55 years at the time of the carving, Bill suggested carving two wolves, since they mate forever. You can see the stream flowing in the carving. Next to it, Manny has constructed what we were told is called a Good Luck Bottle Tree. The trunk and branches were constructed in steel and it was mounted in cement; over 200 glass beer and wine bottles were attached. When the sun catches the shimmer of the glass, its as if you can feel the good luck. We greatly enjoyed meeting them and hearing about their tales of snowmobiling Westwood in the old days. In fact, Judy was a snowmobile champion in 13 states.
About The Author
Raised in Concord, CA, Eileen found her home in Westwood, CA in the late 1970's where life included 18 years of heating only with a wood stove, lots of deep snows, cooking on a wood stove and plenty of homemade recipes to save money and feed well two growing boys and husband, a hard working timber faller. Their little family lived life as an adventure. Eileen learned how to make do and in fact, make things pretty nice around the house in the tiny town surrounded by lakes and streams. Her life long desire to write has turned into her dream job after a long career in newspaper and radio.
Mar 15, 2013
Greenhorn Guest Ranch 800-334-6939 Ranch Weddings Plumas County, Equestrian Weddings NorCal Horse Drawn Weddings
Feb 27, 2011
Apr 1, 2016
Follow Us on Twitter
- Traders earned millions anticipating Oct. 7 Hamas attack, study says - The Washington Post Dec 5, 2023Traders earned millions anticipating Oct. 7 Hamas attack, study says The Washington PostIsrael Stunned As Hamas Allegedly Earned Billions From Israeli Share Market After Oct 7 Attack Hindustan TimesUnknown traders appear to have anticipated October 7 Hamas attack, research finds CNNDid Hamas Make Millions Betting Against Israeli Shares Ahead of Attack? | Vantage with Palki Sharma FirstpostCaroline Glick: We're […]
- Tuberville Says He Will Drop Blockade of Most Military Promotions - The New York Times Dec 5, 2023Tuberville Says He Will Drop Blockade of Most Military Promotions The New York TimesTuberville says he will release Senate holds on confirming military nominations three-star and below CNNBREAKING: Sen. Tommy Tuberville says he will lift blocking of military promotions MSNBCTuberville is ending blockade of most military nominees, clearing way for hundreds to be approved Yahoo NewsTuberville drops hold on […]
- NCAA proposes creation of new subdivision with direct compensation for athletes - The Athletic Dec 5, 2023NCAA proposes creation of new subdivision with direct compensation for athletes The AthleticNCAA proposes rule to let schools, athletes enter NIL deals ESPNNCAA proposing new college athletics subdivision rooted in direct athlete compensation Yahoo SportsNCAA president proposes new tier for ‘highest resourced’ schools to compensate athletes directly CNNNCAA Subdivision Proposal Has ADs Sweating, but Not SMU's Rick Hart Sports Illustrated
- Supreme Court weighs broad impacts in tax case that drew calls for Justice Alito’s recusal - NBC News Dec 5, 2023Supreme Court weighs broad impacts in tax case that drew calls for Justice Alito’s recusal NBC NewsSupreme Court case over $15,000 could cost the government trillions USA TODAYSupreme Court hears a case that experts say could wreak havoc on the tax code NPRThe Supreme Court Takes On Yet Another Made-Up Controversy The AtlanticOpinion | Will Trump's Supreme Court Justices […]
- New Mexico veterinarian warns dog owners about mysterious illness spreading nationwide - KOB 4 Dec 5, 2023New Mexico veterinarian warns dog owners about mysterious illness spreading nationwide KOB 4What we know about the mysterious illness hitting dogs NBC NewsTulsa Dog Training Club practicing caution after mysterious illness afflicts dogs nationwide KOKI FOX 23 TULSASioux Falls businesses that allow dogs inside are taking precautions again mystery respiratory illne Dakota News NowVeterinarians exploring treatments to help dogs […]